Yiffing for dollars: Furry artists among top highest-paid Patreon creators.
by Patch O'Furr
The planet is in trouble and every species has a complaint these days, so let a dog bark about politics. If I had a crystal ball to see into the coming Trump years, I bet there would be nothing but murk with occasional mushroom clouds. The power-hungry pumpkinhead will bring isolationism, extreme nativism, and turmoil for international relations. He gives lip service about bringing back jobs, but with no plan beyond drunkenly slashing and burning everything: Regulations, facts, the social contract. Don’t be surprised if work involving foreign trade vaporizes with no replacement, leaving only burger-flipping and a Limbo game for wages. (Burgers will be a nice memory while gnawing rats in the rubble.)
But if the Doomsday Clock stays at a minute to midnight, even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Maybe business will have a bounce. Not in the old economy way before they had robots do the work, but if they aren’t hiring, what’s better than making your own career?
Look at what’s up on the indie level. And this caught my eye: “Can This Startup Reinvent How Doggie Portraits Are Sold?“
Forbes explains that pet industry spending hit a record $60.28 billion in 2015, and MyPoochFace.com got a half million. It’s “the first venture launched by Niche Digital Brands”, who are targeting “massive markets with specialized and differentiated products”, according to the owner: “‘Basically, if Amazon sells it, or has the ability to sell it, we are not interested.'” Chinese manufacturing is not the answer.
Doggie portraits will save us? Yay for doggies! Well, the part that really caught my eye is “specialized and differentiated” and “Amazon can’t sell it”.
Does it sound familiar to furry commission artists? They do all kinds of art from Disney to dirty (I’m padding this) and of course there’s no reason to lump it together or judge it, but there already is a Disney. What’s lacking is stable business for adult media companies. (Even the weird kinky kind!) The centralized production studio concept is going away. That’s why furries are poised for a little opportunity on the naughtier side.
Any person can get naked… but who does “specialized and differentiated” better than fantasy artists? A 21st-century “go west, young man” is “go yiffy, young furry.” Let me thrust some hot data in you.
Check the list of the top 50 creators on Patreon and play Find The Furries!
As I write, fandom-flagwaver Fek is earning $24,000 per month for making furry porn games. (Quote: “Ditch the dayjob and live the dream.”) He has the stat of #2 best-paid per-patron on all of Patreon. (See his luscious art on Furaffinity.) There’s others in the dogpark too. Most NSFW stuff on the top 50 has furry content. #12 is the Trials in Tainted Space NSFW game, with $27,000 per month. #30 is kinda-anthropomorphic-NSFW artist Monstergirlisland, earning $20,000 monthly. Artists are getting rich from this, no joke.
- Cracked – We Draw Furry Porn: 6 Things We’ve Learned On The Job. “Every artist agreed it would have been impossible to make a living doing this as recently as 10 years ago. But today they constantly have multiple projects going and portfolios with hundreds of completed works, and they find themselves in ever-increasing demand.”
- NYMag: The Secret Furry Patrons Keeping Indie Artists Afloat. “When it comes to commissioning original works of art, nobody can match the furries.”
- Is furry erotica a blow against The Man? Slate: How Can Literature Resist Islamophobia? One Writer Answers: Gay Muslim Furry Romance.
- If things get like the Weimar Republic and we have to spend a wheelbarrow of Trump Dollars for one lousy YCH… Vice: How Cryptocurrencies Like Bitcoin Could Save the Indie Porn Industry.
- More Vice: Offbeatr, the Kickstarter for Porn, Is a Furry Playground. More at Flayrah: Furry porn sweeps Offbeatr; their CEO, project leads explain. That’s old news since the company has since shut down, but the trend continues.