by Patch O'Furr
Furries are on a list of news articles by Kim Wall:
- How Cubans deliver culture without internet
- Inside the Ugandan Mall at the Center of China’s East African Investments
- Asian, queer and dancing defiance: ‘Everything we do now is resistance’
- When China’s Feminists Came to Washington
- Ghost Stories: Idi Amin’s torture chambers
- The Magic Kingdom Meets the Middle Kingdom in Shanghai Disneyland
- Tour Buses to Sri Lanka’s Battlefields
- Can This Tiny Island Restore Haitian Tourism?
- It’s not about sex, it’s about identity: why furries are unique among fan cultures
Does it feel special to be on such an interesting list? It’s on a site for Kim Wall and her work. She was an independent journalist writing about identity, gender, pop-culture, social justice and foreign policy. Tributes from people who knew her paint a portrait of a talented person full of curiosity, who made a warm and lasting impression. Her stories spread that vibe on behalf of their subjects.
This headline understands- “It’s not about sex, it’s about identity: why furries are unique among fan cultures”. The story mentions bad media attention and furries being targets of hate while they celebrate self-expression. In my opinion, we were lucky to get such a good story and it’s one of a handful of the best you can find. This is why to welcome media notice if this little subculture is going to get it.