by Patch O'Furr
It’s not every day that a POC furry pro gamer with 4 Guinness World Records wins a tournament in a fursuit. When I talked to a friend about interviewing SonicFox, I heard he was cool and didn’t have a big head about it. It was true, but the question lots of people are asking is how does he do it in a fursuit head? The best thing I do in mine is fit a beer through the muzzle. And SonicFox isn’t even quite drinking age while earning more than enough to pay for college.
Pro gaming is getting huge, and it has a juggernaut representing furries – but to SonicFox, it seems like the representing and hugeness is no big deal compared to the furry part. It’s like whether he was a rock star or just a guy next door with a cool hobby to share, he’d give it the same attitude. It’s about being friendly and as sincere as you can be in being who you want to be, especially if that’s a cute blue fox. He should win all the hugs.
Thanks to SonicFox for being so prompt and enthusiastic about an interview from a tiny furry blog – it was fast and good like his gaming. (And thanks for question suggestions from Chip, Summer, Matthias, Tempe, Codex and Tex.) Here’s some further reference, then the interview.
- Kotaku: Even In A Fursuit, SonicFox Keeps Winning Fighting Game Tournaments
- Paste: Evo Champion SonicFox Takes Home Two Titles in Full Fursuit at Clutch 2018
- DailyDot: Dominique ‘Sonic Fox’ McLean is at the top of his game (Good 2015 profile)
- Guinness World Records: American gamer “SonicFox” enters the record books with four eSports titles
- E-Sports Earnings: Dominique “SonicFox” Mclean
- Wikifur: SonicFox5000 (social media links)
- Wikipedia: Echo Fox (His Esports team)
- Dogpatch Press: Furr-Esports article
I am the WINNER!!— Echo Fox | SonicFox (@SonicFox5000) April 23, 2018
In suit! pic.twitter.com/EaxCcGOcGD
Sonicfox has been such an uplifting thing for the furry fandom. Not only is he generally a cool guy, but because of him, gaming blogs that once openly mocked us now have had to use fandom terms seriously and write about furries in a positive manner. XD— zʇᴉlqʞuI (@Inkblitzer) April 24, 2018