FURRIES love anthropomorphism. Animals who act like people are in media from Disney cartoons, to werewolf movies, and cyberpunk hybrid fiction. The furry fandom has members around the world. They flock to meets and conventions over 10,000 strong, where they flaunt millions worth of independent art. Want a look inside this subculture? Look here. Dogpatch Press is the most active Furry News source since 2014. It’s a source for stories in Rolling Stone, the L.A. Times, Vice, and more. The site has 1000+ articles with book reviews, interviews, investigations and history. Expect a subjective personal voice with love for pop culture, sharp-clawed opinions to dig out the truth, and a nose for news with tail wagging fun. It’s all shared here free for the love of it, to spread the news of why furries have one of the most creative subcultures around.
- “A prominent furry news blogger” – Forbes
- “A popular hub for discussion of furry issues” – The Daily Dot
- “One of the community’s main news and reportage sites” – Daily KOS
TOPICS: (See also Special Features and Top Articles)
- Furry history: Roots in 1970’s indie comics and science fiction fandom, and myths since time began.
- Mainstream notice and crossover: In the media and on the street.
- Subculture and superfans: They do it with a dogged DIY spirit.
- Creators and makers: Writing, art, animation, costuming, dance and music.
- Indie business: For love as much as money.
- Freaky cool: Trash, punk, kink, comedy, and WTF happenings.
- Not furry but it’s in the dogpark: Nature, fashion, theater, psychology, Sasquatches.
- The Furry Condition: Why do people go wild for it? Make-believe is for everyone.
GUEST WRITERS: Ask for help or just submit an article. Use plain text or Word, any length is OK, and attach/link pics/vids. Expect editing help and thank-you payment (it’s a community service.)
REVIEWS: Ask if we can promote your work, or volunteer to get stuff to write about.
PATCH O’FURR (Founder): a fabulous husky dog. Patch made this to be like his ideal 1990’s zine. He has been a guest speaker and dancer on stages and TV, and organizes meets of up to several hundred furries. His favorite things are street fursuiting and hugs. He supports creators, dreamers, and happy weirdos, and he’s almost housebroken by now.
FRED PATTEN (1940-2018) – Furry’s favorite historian and reviewer, “considered one of the main founders of the furry fandom.” Fred was an honored contributor to sources like Cartoon Research, lead by Jerry Beck (president of The International Animated Film Society.) For several years this site gave him a home as a disabled elder to stay up front in fandom.
PUP MATTHIAS (Contributing Editor): Part of Furry fandom since 2009. His involvement is going to cons, socializing, and volunteering for the site. He does a weekly book review show, Bookworm Reviews for books of all shapes and sizes. What he cares about most is that you have a nice day.
In the media:
- Cracked: Unexpected Groups That Are Getting Torn Apart By Drama
- Newsweek: The True Story Behind ‘Last Week Tonight’s’ Rat Erotica Painting
- York Dispatch: ‘Last Week Tonight’ host seeks rat painting by York artist Brian Swords
- KQED: A Secret Weapon of the Progressive Left: Furries
- Broke-Ass Stuart: 10 INSANE SCENES FROM BERNIE SANDERS’ YUUUGE BAY AREA RALLY (In costume as “Furries 4 Bernie”)
- The Intelligencer: There’s a Lot of Sonic the Hedgehog Fetish Art Online. Why? (Context)
- Worst Year Ever podcast: How The Furries Fought The Nazis and Won Part 1 (Source)
- Worst Year Ever podcast: How The Furries Fought The Nazis and Won Part 2 (Big shoutout at 3:00)
- Vulture: Is The Masked Singer Furry Crossover Culture? We Asked an Expert. (Interview)
- Wonkette: Milo’s Dream De-Furred
- LGBTQNation: The furry community is very LGBTQ-inclusive & doesn’t tolerate haters like Milo (Author)
- Secretmag.ru: A russian journalist looks at the market for furry art. (Source)
- The Daily Beast: How a Cooling Vest Invented by a Furry Made Its Way Into the U.S. Military
- The Daily Beast: Luxury Brand Started Selling $6,000 Animal Costumes. Furries Are Furious.
- Chicago Reader: But what do furries think of Cats?
- Daily KOS: Even furries have an alt-right problem
- New England Reptile: EXPOSED – REPTILE CHANNEL – DON’T SUPPORT THIS CHANNEL! (Source)
- KCBS/San Francisco Pride — (Patch is organizer for the award winning furry group at SF Pride since 2012)
— Cody 🦊 Boopers 🔜 MEGAPLEX (@CodyBoopers) July 1, 2019
- On stage for Bawdy Storytelling show in San Francisco
- The Outline: Where will furries go after Tumblr?
- Buzzfeed: The News This Week: Furries, Nazis, And #MeToo (audio interview)
- Huffington Post: Alt-Right Furries Are Raging Online, And Leftist Furries Wonder What Is To Be Done
- Vice: Who Makes Those Intricate, Expensive Furry Suits?
- SFist: Eyes Peeled, SF! A Fursuit Was Stolen From Fisherman’s Wharf
- Film Music Daily: Nova Seed Sountrack – Film ‘A Rare Find of Sci-Fi Animation’ – Dogpatch Press
- Thurston Howl Publishing: Furries Among Us 2 (Ursa Major Award-winning nonfiction anthology)
INVASION BY HATE GROUPS: They wormed in with methods they can use against any subculture (like neo-nazis in punk). Rocky Mountain Fur Con was canceled 12 hours after an expose broke here. “The intricacies of the story were first reported on the Dogpatch Press, a blog devoted to news about the furry community.” – Blair Miller, Denver7
- Denver7: Amid allegations of unpaid taxes, neo-Nazism, and sex offender, Denver furry convention canceled
- Newsweek: Neo-Nazi Furries are Trump’s Latest and Most Puzzling Alt-Right Supporters (source)
- Rolling Stone: Does the Furry Community Have a Nazi Problem?
- Daily Beast: Neo-Nazis Are Tearing the Furry World Apart
- Nerd and Tie: The Bizarre Fall of Rocky Mountain Fur Con
- Unicorn Booty: Denver Furry Convention Cancelled Amid Neo-Nazi Claims
- Lawyers and Liquor: Free Furry of The Land: When SovCits and Furries Collide
- Bleeding Cool: How Nazi-Punching Lead To A Furry Con Cancellation
- Wonkette: Tax-Dodging Nazi Sovereign Citizen Furries Forced To Cancel Denver Furry Convention. Yes, Really.
- SFist: Furry Community Responds To Possible Closing Of The Stud, Their Monthly Gathering Place
- SFist: Identity Theft: Furry Furious Until Stolen Suit Recovered
- SFist: California DMV Rejects License Plate FURRIES As ‘Sexual’ Term
- Adafruit Industries: Future Fursuiting (reposted on company blog)
- Death And Taxes: Tony the Tiger breaks silence, responds to Twitter furries.
TRAGEDY IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA: A triple homicide took loved members of the furry community. Patch helped a reporter to define the community, interview members, get a tip to police, replace rumor with facts, raise sympathy and spread a fundraiser. “Dogpatch Press, an online news site for the furry community, said in a statement that the Sept. 24 homicides – in which at least two of the victims are either active furries or have ties to that world – have been devastating.” – Scott Schwebke, Orange County Register
- Orange County Register: After Fullerton triple homicide, furry community devastated, fearful for their safety.
- Rolling Stone: Furry Community Shocked After Gory Triple Murder
- The LA Times/San Diego Tribune: Furry community puts events on hold as it grapples with triple murder in Orange County
- KTLA 5 News: Triple Homicide at Fullerton Home Leaves Furry Community Stunned
- NY Daily News: California furry-murder suspect discussed plot online days before killing
FURRIES AND ZOOTOPIA: Patch organized a theater screening for the Disney blockbuster. Hundreds attended, among the largest international Furry screenings. An article about them drew viral sharing and highest traffic on the site.
- Vanity Fair: Disney Seems to Be Embracing Its Furry Fan Base
- National Post: Is Disney targeting Zootopia marketing strategy toward Furries?
- Inverse.com: Disney Prepares to Cash In on the Furry Demographic with “Zootopia.”
- Inquisitr.com Is Disney marketing new movie Zootopia to Furries?
- Uproxx: A Real-Life Furry Confirms That Yes, Furries Love ‘Zootopia’”
- On stage for Live Sex comedy show in San Francisco
- Racked: The Fursuit of Happiness: High Fashion in Furry Fandom
COLLEGEHUMOR AND THE URSA MAJOR AWARDS: CollegeHumor picked Dogpatch Press to spread exclusive news of the animated series Furry Force. Patch nominated it for the furry community’s Ursa Major award. It led CollegeHumor to lobby for votes, bringing unprecedented traffic to the award. Some fans were critical of being parodied, but award organizers praised the outside notice for what furries like. Furry Force won, beating My Little Pony for an upset victory. Writer Adam Conover said “What better honor is there for comedy writers, than for the community that you are making fun of to give you an award for how much they love what you made?” Patch appeared as a cameo in episode 3.
- Splitsider: How the Furry Community Embraced CollegeHumor’s Furry-Lampooning ‘Furry Force’. “Popular furry blogger, Patch O’Furr, recently nominated the series for The Ursa Major Award for Best Dramatic Series or Short Work.” – Sydney Parker
- Performer in music videos by queer comedy rapper MC Crumbsnatcher, on stage at Tourette’s Without Regrets comedy show, fursuit go-go dancer for closing party of San Francisco’s Folsom Street Fair, organizer for many events like street fairs with photos in the news.
- Flayrah: Writer for 45 articles of furry news.
- Virtual Costumer: Furry issue contributor (newsletter for the The Silicon Web Costumers’ Guild)
More Love and fandom
- “What is “furry fandom,” you may ask? I’m not quite sure how to describe it, even though the phenomenon has attracted growing media coverage. Best you visit Dogpatch Press and explore “furry fandom” for yourself.” – Michael Barrier (author of Hollywood Cartoons: American Animation in Its Golden Age)
- “Very diverse material, from newly published books, to important fandom news.” – Jesus Fox Forgives Your Yiffs
- “Dogpatch.Press has always been a source of inspiration… an invaluable resource for our community. ” – Culturally F’d
- “Dogpatch Press did an amazing investigative job on this one. They’re a regular Woofward and Barkstein!” – Furry Buzzfeed
- “Awesome blog! It’s real! I’m a fan of Furry and everything that has to do with the subculture.” Hunter Fox (author of A Billionaire Dinosaur Forced Me Gay.)
- “Patch O’Furr… defanged prejudices or assumptions about the Furry community, and was cautious to not speak for the entirety of his tribe… It was insightful to see, with levity firmly intact.” – Courting Comedy
Holy hell PATCHES IS ON THE NEW FURRY FORCE FROM COLLEGE HUMOR pic.twitter.com/P12mxztBpw— Drew Barrymore’s Kidz Bop @ TFF (@Maroanalove) July 18, 2015
RT if you would purchase Dogpatch Press magazines at the supermarket https://t.co/W433P8JzGe— Kupok Natsu (@ConfusedMujina) October 29, 2017
No idea who @DogpatchPress is or where the heck they came from or how they got 15k followers but they expose the fuck out of Nazis and I am glad they are in this fandom.— 🌈 🐾♿ Alexandria Christina Leal (@BinaryVixen899) December 6, 2017
Really impressed by the research I've seen from @DogpatchPress. Their OSINT game is strong ;3— Soatok Dreamseeker - Infursec Geek (@SoatokDhole) August 31, 2017
Heartfelt thanks to the folks mentioning me as an inspiration. Gave me many wags.— Kyell Gold (@KyellGold) March 8, 2018
For my part, I’ve been inspired and helped by many people over the years, but most recently @DeoTasDevil and @DogpatchPress for all their work fighting nazis. ❤️
Again, I encourage fandoms of good conscience to start modeling their responses to Nazis et al on the furry community. Dogpatch is a great resource for freedom-lovers everywhere. https://t.co/1BjUWVOM6t— Sarah McKinlayScott (@doctorflopsy) April 28, 2018
This article on nazi furries opens with one of the best take downs of "free speech" and "evil SJWs" I've ever seen. https://t.co/w3Yr1yH1Wv— Secret Gamer Girl (@SecretGamerGrrl) July 25, 2017
THANKS: Dogpatch Press is recommended at the Furry Writers Guild. Hugs to all “Furry News” sources: Flayrah, Culturally F’d, Furstarter, Furrymedia, Fur Media, Furry.Today, InFurNation, [adjective][species], Furry News Network, Gaming Furever, and Furry Stammtische. (Check the Furry News twitter list.) Thanks to all guest writers, sources, Patreon supporters, and others who help. Check our banner gallery to see all the artists who have helped us.
CONTENT POLICY: Dogpatch Press reserves all rights for editors and admins. See link for requests to modify site content.