FURRIES love anthropomorphism (animals who walk and talk like people). It’s in science fiction and fantasy, animation, art, comics, games, and live performing with fursuits. Furry fans have meets and conventions around the world. This is the most active Furry News source since 2014. It’s for alternative subculture with love for pop culture too. Expect bold claims, jaunty opinions, and lots of love (and fleas).
WE COVER THESE TOPICS: (See also Special Features and Top Articles)
- Furry history: 30 years and more, from roots in funny animal comics and science fiction fandom.
- Mainstream notice and crossover: Check out a summary of Furry media coverage.
- Subculture and superfans: Anything original they do with DIY spirit.
- Creators and makers: Writers, artists, animators, costuming, dance and music.
- Indie business: Publishing, developing and organizing for love as much as money.
- The Furry Condition: Why do people get into anthropomorphic animals?
- Not furry, but it’s in the dogpark: Nature, fashion, theater, psychology, myth, Sasquatches.
- Freaky cool stuff: Trash, punk, kink, comedy, midnight movies, art films, and WTF happenings.
- No judging: Don’t apologize for what you love, make-believe is for everyone.
GUEST WRITERS: Ask or just submit an article! Send to Gmail (above), plain text or Word, no length limit, attach/link pics/vids if available. A good example of stuff wanted here: “Featured Fursuiter of the Month“.
BOOK REVIEWS: Ask if we can help! @marfedmoo does furry comic reviews sometimes hosted here. For other stuff, @Bookworm_Review may be interested, or send your guest post, or if it’s your own book we can boost a call for a reviewer.
FRED PATTEN (1940-2018) – Furry’s favorite historian and reviewer: “He was considered one of the main founders of the furry fandom.” Fred was an honored contributor to sources like Cartoon Research, lead by Jerry Beck (president of The International Animated Film Society.)
PATCH O’FURR (Founder): a fabulous husky dog. Patch made this Furry News site to be like his ideal 1990’s indie zine. Patch has been a guest speaker and dancer on stages, and organizes meets of up to several hundred furries with national TV coverage. His favorite things are street fursuiting and hugs. He supports creators, dreamers, and happy weirdos, and he’s almost housebroken by now.
PUP MATTHIAS (Contributing Editor): Part of Furry fandom since 2009. His involvement is going to cons, socializing, and volunteering for the site. He does a weekly book review show, Bookworm Reviews for books of all shapes and sizes. What he cares about most is that you have a nice day.
- “A prominent furry news blogger” – Forbes
- “A popular hub for discussion of furry issues” – The Daily Dot
- “Very diverse material, from newly published books, to important fandom news.” – Jesus Fox Forgives Your Yiffs
- “Dogpatch.Press has always been a source of inspiration… an invaluable resource for our community. ” – Culturally F’d
- “Dogpatch Press did an amazing investigative job on this one. They’re a regular Woofward and Barkstein!” – Furry Buzzfeed
- “Patch O’Furr… defanged prejudices or assumptions about the Furry community, and was cautious to not speak for the entirety of his tribe… It was insightful to see, with levity firmly intact.” – Courting Comedy
- “What is “furry fandom,” you may ask? I’m not quite sure how to describe it, even though the phenomenon has attracted growing media coverage. Best you visit Dogpatch Press and explore “furry fandom” for yourself.” – Michael Barrier (author of Hollywood Cartoons: American Animation in Its Golden Age)
- “Awesome blog! It’s real! I’m a fan of Furry and everything that has to do with the subculture.” Hunter Fox (author of A Billionaire Dinosaur Forced Me Gay.)
FURRIES AND ZOOTOPIA: Patch organized a multiplex theater screening for the Disney blockbuster. It was among the largest international Furry screenings. An article about those drew highest traffic on Dogpatch Press, with viral sharing and media notices here:
- Vanity Fair: Disney Seems to Be Embracing Its Furry Fan Base
- National Post: Is Disney targeting Zootopia marketing strategy toward Furries?
- Inverse.com: Disney Prepares to Cash In on the Furry Demographic with “Zootopia.”
- Inquisitr.com Is Disney marketing new movie Zootopia to Furries?
- Uproxx: A Real-Life Furry Confirms That Yes, Furries Love ‘Zootopia’”
COLLEGEHUMOR AND THE URSA MAJOR AWARDS: CollegeHumor picked Dogpatch Press to spread exclusive news of the animated series Furry Force. Patch nominated it for the furry community’s Ursa Major award. It led CollegeHumor to lobby for votes, bringing unprecedented traffic to the award. Some fans were critical of being parodied, but award organizers praised the outside notice for what furries like. Furry Force beat My Little Pony for an upset victory. Writer Adam Conover said “What better honor is there for comedy writers, than for the community that you are making fun of to give you an award for how much they love what you made?” Patch appeared as a cameo in episode 3.
- Splitsider: “Popular furry blogger, Patch O’Furr, recently nominated the series for The Ursa Major Award for Best Dramatic Series or Short Work.” – Sydney Parker, How the Furry Community Embraced CollegeHumor’s Furry-Lampooning ‘Furry Force’.
Holy hell PATCHES IS ON THE NEW FURRY FORCE FROM COLLEGE HUMOR pic.twitter.com/P12mxztBpw— Drew Barrymore’s Kidz Bop @ TFF (@Maroanalove) July 18, 2015
INVASION BY NEO-NAZIS: Hate groups wormed into the community. Rocky Mountain Fur Con was canceled 12 hours after an expose broke here.
- 7NEWS Denver: “The intricacies of the story were first reported on the Dogpatch Press, a blog devoted to news about the furry community.” – Blair Miller, Amid allegations of unpaid taxes, neo-Nazism, and sex offender, Denver furry convention canceled
- More quotes: Rolling Stone, Daily Beast, Nerd and Tie, Unicorn Booty, Lawyers and Liquor, Bleeding Cool, Wonkette
- Followup: Newsweek (article source), Buzzfeed (audio interview), Huffington Post
TRAGEDY IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA: A triple homicide took loved members of the furry community. (It could just as well have been a shared workplace.) Patch investigated connections and worked with a reporter to define the community, interview members, get a tip to police, replace rumor with facts, raise sympathy by outsiders, and spread a fundraiser. A statement was quoted by media.
- Orange County Register: “Dogpatch Press, an online news site for the furry community, said in a statement that the Sept. 24 homicides – in which at least two of the victims are either active furries or have ties to that world – have been devastating.” – Scott Schwebke, After Fullerton triple homicide, furry community devastated, fearful for their safety.
- More quotes: Rolling Stone, The LA Times, The San Diego Tribune, KTLA 5 News, NY Daily News
LOCAL SAN FRANCISCO NEWS FROM SFIST.
- Identity Theft: Furry Furious Until Stolen Suit Recovered
- Eyes Peeled, SF! A Fursuit Was Stolen From Fisherman’s Wharf
- California DMV Rejects License Plate FURRIES As ‘Sexual’ Term
- Furry Community Responds To Possible Closing Of The Stud, Their Monthly Gathering Place
- The Outline: Where will furries go after Tumblr?
- Vice: Who Makes Those Intricate, Expensive Furry Suits?
- Film Music Daily: Nova Seed Sountrack – Film ‘A Rare Find of Sci-Fi Animation’ – Dogpatch Press
- Racked: The Fursuit of Happiness: High Fashion in Furry Fandom
- Adafruit Industries: Future Fursuiting (reposted on company blog)
- Death And Taxes: Tony the Tiger breaks silence, responds to Twitter furries.
- Virtual Costumer – Furry issue contributor (newsletter for the The Silicon Web Costumers’ Guild)
RT if you would purchase Dogpatch Press magazines at the supermarket https://t.co/W433P8JzGe— Kupok Natsu (@ConfusedMujina) October 29, 2017
No idea who @DogpatchPress is or where the heck they came from or how they got 15k followers but they expose the fuck out of Nazis and I am glad they are in this fandom.— 🌈 🐾♿ Alexandria Christina Leal (@BinaryVixen899) December 6, 2017
Really impressed by the research I've seen from @DogpatchPress. Their OSINT game is strong ;3— Soatok Dreamseeker - Infursec Geek (@SoatokDhole) August 31, 2017
Heartfelt thanks to the folks mentioning me as an inspiration. Gave me many wags.— Kyell Gold (@KyellGold) March 8, 2018
For my part, I’ve been inspired and helped by many people over the years, but most recently @DeoTasDevil and @DogpatchPress for all their work fighting nazis. ❤️
Again, I encourage fandoms of good conscience to start modeling their responses to Nazis et al on the furry community. Dogpatch is a great resource for freedom-lovers everywhere. https://t.co/1BjUWVOM6t— Sarah McKinlayScott (@doctorflopsy) April 28, 2018
This article on nazi furries opens with one of the best take downs of "free speech" and "evil SJWs" I've ever seen. https://t.co/w3Yr1yH1Wv— Secret Gamer Girl (@SecretGamerGrrl) July 25, 2017
THANKS: Dogpatch Press is recommended at the Furry Writers Guild. Hugs to all “Furry News” sources: Flayrah, Culturally F’d, Furstarter, Furrymedia, Fur Media, Furry.Today, InFurNation, [adjective][species], Furry News Network, Gaming Furever, and Furry Stammtische. (Check the Furry News twitter list.) Thanks Amanda R, Andrew B, Anonymouse, Cheetah, Dronon, Ethan Staghorne, Higgs Raccoon, JM Horse, Kiwi Tiger, Phil Geusz, Sonious, Vox Fox, Zeigler Jaguar, and all who send posts, tips, comments and support. Check our banner gallery to see all the artists who have helped us.
POLICY NOTE: Endorsement is not implied for quotes, tweets, “community access” guest writing, or other documenting that may appear on Dogpatch Press. Please use careful commenting to make critical responses. Assume that guest writing is the responsibility of the guest with hands-off hosting. Outside directions to create, alter, or remove writing won’t be considered, except in these cases: 1) Factual errors like a wrong name or year. 2) By formal notice such as a lawyer’s letter. 3) A thoughtful request from one source may be considered. Assume good faith and independence of the site, and use persuasion with no entitlement to the labor. Non-response isn’t a statement of belief, affiliation or intentions. Pressure by “callout”, mischaracterizing, shaming, threats, harassment, mass brigading, targeting (such as with private groups or hashtags), or abusive manipulation (“if you don’t do ___, it means ___”) will never be considered and will be blocked. In general, writing and sources will be kept unconditionally secure and as published. This policy covers accounts connected to or followed by the site and may be cited with no further comment. (Updated: Feb 2019.)