FURRIES love animal anthropomorphism – animals who walk and talk like people. It’s in science fiction and fantasy, animation, art, comics, games, and live performing with fursuits. Furry fans have meets and conventions around the world. This is the most active Furry News source. It’s for alternative subculture with love for pop culture too. Expect bold claims, jaunty opinions, and lots of love (and fleas).
We cover these topics:
- Furry history: Over 30 years, from roots in funny animal comics and science fiction fandom.
- Mainstream notice and crossover: Here’s a summary of Furry media coverage.
- Subculture and superfans: Anything original they do with DIY spirit.
- Creators and makers: Writing, art, animation, costume, dance and music.
- Indie business: Publishing, developing, and organizing, for love as much as money.
- The Furry Condition: What gets people into anthropomorphic animals?
- Not furry, but it’s in the dogpark: Nature, fashion, theater, psychology, myth, Sasquatches.
- Freaky cool stuff: Trash, punk, kink, comedy, midnight movies, art films, and WTF happenings.
- No judging: Don’t apologize for what you love. Make-believe is for everyone.
FRED PATTEN (Furry’s favorite historian and reviewer): “He is considered one of the main founders of the furry fandom.” He’s an honored contributor to sources like Cartoon Research, lead by Jerry Beck (president of The International Animated Film Society.)
PATCH O’FURR (Founder and Blog Dog): Hobby writer and Husky, who gives unconditional linty hugs for everyone. He organizes meets of up to several hundred furries with national TV news coverage. He’s been a guest speaker and dancer on stages, and loves creators, dreamers, happy weirdos, and everything fabulous and fluffy. Street Fursuiting is where the magic is. (Favorite fandom artists: Big Weird Cow and Scale.)
PUP MATTHIAS (Contributing Editor): Part of Furry fandom since 2009. His involvement is going to cons, socializing, and volunteering for the site. He does a weekly book review show, Bookworm Reviews for books of all shapes and sizes. What he cares about most is that you have a nice day.
“A popular hub for discussion of furry issues” – The Daily Dot
“Very diverse material, from newly published books, to important fandom news.” – Jesus Fox Forgives Your Yiffs
“Dogpatch Press did an amazing investigative job on this one. They’re a regular Woofward and Barkstein!” – Furry Buzzfeed
“Patch O’Furr… defanged prejudices or assumptions about the Furry community, and was cautious to not speak for the entirety of his tribe… It was insightful to see, with levity firmly intact.” – Courting Comedy
“What is “furry fandom,” you may ask? I’m really not quite sure how to describe it, even though the phenomenon has attracted growing media coverage. Best you visit Dogpatch Press and explore “furry fandom” for yourself.” – Michael Barrier (author of Hollywood Cartoons: American Animation in Its Golden Age)
“Awesome blog! It’s real! I’m a fan of Furry and everything that has to do with the subculture.” Hunter Fox (author of A Billionaire Dinosaur Forced Me Gay.)
FURRIES AND ZOOTOPIA: Patch organized a multiplex theater screening for the Disney blockbuster. It was among the largest international Furry screenings. An article about those drew high traffic on Dogpatch Press, with viral sharing and media notice:
- Vanity Fair: Disney Seems to Be Embracing Its Furry Fan Base
- National Post: Is Disney targeting Zootopia marketing strategy toward Furries?
- Inverse.com: Disney Prepares to Cash In on the Furry Demographic with “Zootopia.”
- Inquisitr.com Is Disney marketing new movie Zootopia to Furries?
- Uproxx: A Real-Life Furry Confirms That Yes, Furries Love ‘Zootopia’”
COLLEGEHUMOR AND THE URSA MAJOR AWARDS: CollegeHumor picked Dogpatch Press to spread exclusive news of the animated series Furry Force. Patch nominated it for the furry community’s Ursa Major award. It led CollegeHumor to lobby for votes, bringing unprecedented traffic to the award. Some fans were critical of being parodied, but award organizers praised the outside notice for what furries like. Furry Force beat My Little Pony for an upset victory. Writer Adam Conover said: “What better honor is there for comedy writers, than for the community that you are making fun of to give you an award for how much they love what you made?” Patch appeared as a cameo in episode 3.
- Splitsider: “Popular furry blogger, Patch O’Furr, recently nominated the series for The Ursa Major Award for Best Dramatic Series or Short Work.” – Sydney Parker, How the Furry Community Embraced CollegeHumor’s Furry-Lampooning ‘Furry Force’.
Holy hell PATCHES IS ON THE NEW FURRY FORCE FROM COLLEGE HUMOR pic.twitter.com/P12mxztBpw— Jean Water @ BLFC (@Maroanalove) July 18, 2015
TRAGEDY IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA: A triple homicide took loved members of the furry community. (It could just as well have been a shared workplace.) Patch investigated connections and worked with a reporter to define the community, interview members, get a tip to police, replace rumor with facts, raise sympathy among outsiders, and spread a fundraiser for survivors. A statement was quoted by media.
- Orange County Register: “Dogpatch Press, an online news site for the furry community, said in a statement that the Sept. 24 homicides – in which at least two of the victims are either active furries or have ties to that world – have been devastating.” – Scott Schwebke, After Fullerton triple homicide, furry community devastated, fearful for their safety.
- More quotes: Rolling Stone, The LA Times, The San Diego Tribune, KTLA 5 News, NY Daily News
COLORADO CON COLLAPSE: Trolls using neo-nazi symbolism caused a split in the furry community. Rocky Mountain Fur Con was canceled 12 hours after an expose-type story broke here.
- 7NEWS Denver: “The intricacies of the story were first reported on the Dogpatch Press, a blog devoted to news about the furry community.” – Blair Miller, Amid allegations of unpaid taxes, neo-Nazism, and sex offender, Denver furry convention canceled
- More quotes: Rolling Stone, Daily Beast, Nerd and Tie, Unicorn Booty, Lawyers and Liquor, Bleeding Cool, Wonkette
- SFist: Identity Theft: Furry Furious Until Stolen Suit Recovered.
- SFist: Furry Community Responds To Possible Closing Of The Stud, Their Monthly Gathering Place.
- SFist: California DMV Rejects License Plate FURRIES As ‘Sexual’ Term
- Racked: The Fursuit of Happiness: High Fashion in Furry Fandom
- Adafruit Industries: Future Fursuiting article featured on company blog
- Death And Taxes: Tony the Tiger breaks silence, responds to Twitter furries.
Dogpatch Press is recommended at the Furry Writers Guild. Hugs to all “Furry News” sources: Flayrah, Culturally F’d, Furstarter, Furrymedia, Fur Media, Furry.Today, InFurNation, [adjective][species], Furry News Network, Gaming Furever, Furryfandom.es, and Furry Stammtische. (Check the Furry News twitter list.) Banner by Spalding. Thanks Akhentu, Amanda R, Andrew B, Anonymouse, Cheetah, Dronon, Ethan Staghorne, Greenreaper, Higgs Raccoon, Kiwi Tiger, Mike Retriever, Phil Geusz, Sonious, Vox Fox, Zeigler Jaguar, and all who send posts, tips, comments and support.