WiLD party in Mission Viejo, CA – organizer DJ Ear gives a Q&A for the Furclub Survey.
by Patch O'Furr
Furclubbing: “A repeat/regular nightclub event by furries for furries.” It’s a New Thing that’s been spreading since the late 2000’s. This kind of dance party is independent from cons. This builds on the growth of cons, and takes things farther. It’s more ambitious than events that happen once, house parties, or informal meets. Those can stay inner-focused for friends who already know each other. This brings partnership with venues that aren’t hotels, and new supportive interest in the kind of events they host. It crosses a line to public space. A stranger may walk in off the street to discover their new favorite thing. It encourages new blood, and crossover to other scenes. It makes subculture thrive. It’s a movement!
See the list of parties at The Furclub survey. Any party that gives a Q&A will get a featured article.
Featured here is WiLD, a new event in Mission Viejo, CA. So Cal furs have complained of a lack of furry parties. With Tail! recently started not too far away, WiLD promises to amplify awesome developments for one of the longest existing populations of the fandom. WiLD’s first venue was lost with ownership change, so it seems like hard work to get established, but their new place looks like it has a lot of potential. LOVE the toony graphics! Party organizer DJ Ear tells more:
WiLD party (2016)
- The party name: WiLD (official website.)
- Who: WiLD is organized by myself, DJ EAR – with lots of help from the Orange County Music League (OCML) as well as our local fur community and DJs (some of whom are not furry themselves – but love to come out and party with us).
- What: We’re starting at a new location in Mission Viejo CA. We are not at a nightclub, there is no bar (although we do have a snack bar!) – and as such we have opened our doors to an 18+ crowd. Our ultimate goal is to pack the entire building head-to-tail in furries, speaker systems, and DJs for anyone who wants to enjoy a night out with friends, EDM, and fur. Our two previous incarnations the previous year saw roughly 20-30 people show up, and we expect that number to hold for our return until we can prove WiLD is worth returning to. (You’ve gotta start somewhere!)
- When: WiLD is every last Saturday of the month and while we started last year – we’ve only had 2 previous events (due to a change in ownership at our previous venue.) We want everything to be as transparent as we can in the building and structure of WiLD – so feedback from those who come out to our event is really valuable to us and we’ve tried to learn from our mistakes. We’ve already been contacted by a few furs in the area wanting to help however they can – all it takes is a quick email or message on Facebook or Twitter. We’re always listening!
- Where: Studio One Live Venue (Pacific Coast Center for the Arts) – 25732 Taladro Circle, Mission Viejo, CA 92691.Furs from around the Orange County area and beyond (San Diego, LA and more) have come out to WiLD.
- How (the behind the scenes story:) I was approached by one of the Co-Founder’s of OCML with an idea to host a furry EDM event built on the success of recent EDM night’s they had organized. Details got ironed out quickly – DJs were lined up even quicker, and we had less than a month to promote for our first event! It was a big learning experience for me as I was basically given the reigns to organize almost all the aspects of WiLD with OCML providing the backup and know-how to help make it happen.
- Vibe: WiLD hopes to be a place for furs to come enjoy a night of EDM from local furry DJs with friends. We’re an 18+ event and anyone’s welcome to come by. We’ve got a headless lounge & some changing areas setup so we hope to see some fursuiters stop by en mass.
- Promotion: So far we’ve been getting the word out by mouth about our event at local fur meetups & online thru social media. It’s still too early to tell how business will go – but we do hope to make some money from this event so that we can improve WiLD and make it bigger & better!
Good luck to DJ EAR and all of the So Cal furries – I hope WiLD takes off, and proves the awesome potential shared by furry communities starting their own dance parties all over the place.