The 2021 Ursa Major Awards are open now and need your vote.
by Patch O'Furr
Furry fandom’s Ursa Major awards honor the best, most loved anthropomorphic creations of the past year (2021.) Vote now to help the community choose their favorite movies, art, books, news magazines, and more. You can vote until March 31.
Voting for the 2021 Ursa Major Awards is now open! Go to https://t.co/W6cIErOJfu to log in with your key from the 2021 nominations or request a key if you don't have one yet. pic.twitter.com/GFW690yxKv
— Ursa Major Awards🐻💫 (@UrsaMajorAwards) March 1, 2022
The nominations in 14 categories have links to the content here, and you can also find it linked on their Twitter feed.
If you like seeing this collected and open for community feedback, share it on your personal feeds and tell your friends to vote!
This year’s nominees are…
Best Motion Picture
Live-action or animated feature-length movies.
- Luca (Directed by Enrico Casarosa)
- My Little Pony: A New Generation (Directed by Robert Cullen and Jose Ucha)
- Raya and the Last Dragon (Directed by Don Hall, Carlos Lopez Estrada, Paul Briggs and John Ripa)
- Sing 2 (Directed by Garth Jennings)
- Wish Dragon (Directed by Chris Appelhans)
Best Dramatic Short Work
One-shots, advertisements or short videos.
- Fossils (Directed by Piti Yindee)
- Fuelled (Directed by Michelle Hao and Fawn Chan)
- Katrina the Fuzzy Princess (Directed by Charles Brubaker)
- Nobody Does It Better, a musical interlude by Princess Katre from the comic strip Carry On (Video production by Frank Berhring, artwork and concept by K. Garrison)
- The Mandrake (Directed by Quincy Baltes)
Best Dramatic Series
TV or YouTube series videos.
- Beastars, Season 2 (Directed by Shinichi Matsumi)
- Centaurworld (Created by Megan Nicole Dong)
- Chikn Nuggit (by Chikn Nuggit)
- Helluva Boss (Created by Vivienne Medrano) Mature Audiences.
- Odd Taxi (Directed by Mugi Kinoshita)
Written works of 40,000 words or more. Serialized novels qualify only for the year that the final chapter is published.
- Interesting Times, by George Cole and N.C. Shapero. (Jarlidium Press)
- Starwhal in Flight (The Entangled Universe, Book 3), by Mary E. Lowd. (Aethon Books)
- The Bee’s Waltz: A Labyrinth of Souls Novel, by Mary E. Lowd. (Shadow Spinners Press)
- The Captain’s Oath, by Rick Griffin. (Self-published)
- The Entropy Fountain (The Entangled Universe, Book 2), by Mary E. Lowd. (Aethon Books)
Best Short Fiction
Stories less than 40,000 words, poetry, and other short written works.
- “Crystal Fusion”, by Mary E. Lowd (in The Voice of Dog)
- “Dance of Wood and Grace”, by Marie Croke (in Zooscape)
- “The Arsenal of Obsolescence”, by Mary E. Lowd (in The Voice of Dog)
- “Too Cuddly”, by Mary E. Lowd (in Daily Science Fiction)
- “Where Have All The Mousies Gone”, by Mary E. Lowd (in Daily Science Fiction)
Best Other Literary Work
Story collections, comic collections, graphic novels, non-fiction works, and serialized online stories.
- Awoo!: Volume 1, by A.C. Stuart. (Fenris Publishing, comic strip collection)
- Beasts of Burden: Occupied Territory, by Evan Dorkin and Sarah Dyer, illustrated by Benjamin Dewey, lettering by Nate Piekos. (Dark Horse, trade paperback collection)
- Difursity Vol. 2, edited by Weasel. (Thurston Howl Publications, short story/article collection)
- Sam Digger: Beaver Detective, by Ian Madison Keller. (Rainbow Dog Press, anthology)
- Shark Week: An Ocean Anthology, edited by Ian Madison Keller. (Rainbow Dog Press, anthology)
Best Non-Fiction Work
Includes documentaries, opinion pieces, and news articles.
- Furry Fiction Is Everywhere: A Step-By-Step Guide to Writing Anthropomorphic Characters, by Ian Madison Keller & Mary E. Lowd. (Rainbow Dog Books, writing guide)
- How Furries Are Making Virtual Reality Worth Visiting, by Matt Baume. (Input, article)
- The otter who became an accidental VTuber star, by Patricia Hernandez. (Polygon, article)
- The Zoo Files, by Toad McKinley. (Youtube, video)
- This furry scientist won’t let Twitter’s COVID pessimists kill her vibe, by Chris Stokel-Walker. (Input, article)
Best Graphic Story
Includes comic books, and serialized online stories.
- 24/7, by Hladilnik. (Twitter)
- Blades of Furry, by Deya Muniz and Emily Erdos. (Webtoons)
- Found Retake, by Toddlergirl. (Fur Affinity)
- Isla Aukate, by Foxena. (Overlordcomic)
- Shine, by Babystar. (Fur Affinity) Adult material.
Best Comic Strip
Newspaper-style strips, including those with ongoing arcs.
- Carry On, by Kathy Garrison Kellogg. (Internet)
- Foxes in Love, by @foxes_in_love. (Twitter)
- Freefall, by Mark Stanley. (Internet)
- Friends You Are Stuck With, by Gabe Bold. (Internet)
- The Whiteboard, by Doc N. (Internet)
Edited collections of creative and/or informational works by various people, professional or amateur, published in print or online in written, pictorial or audio-visual form.
- #ohmurr!, edited by Izzy Torres, aka Weasel. (Internet) Mature Audiences.
- Dogpatch Press, edited by Patch Packrat. (Internet)
- Flayrah, edited by GreenReaper, Sonious, and Dronon. (Internet)
- InFurNation,, edited by Rod O’Riley. (Internet)
- Zooscape, edited by Mary E. Lowd. (Internet)
Best Published Illustration
Illustrations for books, magazines, convention program books, cover art for such, coffee-table portfolios.
- Caraid, “Beginnings”. (Furaffinity)
- Caraid, “Ruxa, Patient Professor”. (Magic the Gathering – Strixhaven: School of Mages Commander set, Artstation)
- Kathy Garrison Kellogg, “A World Of Our Own”. (Crosstime Cafe)
- Lofi, “Oh, Well”. (Furaffinity)
- Nomax, “Brothers”. (Twitter)
Computer or console games, role-playing games, board games.
- Death’s Door. (Developer: Acid Nerve. Publisher: Devolver Digital)
- Deltarune: Chapter 2. (Developer & Publisher: Toby Fox)
- Doodle Champion Island Games. (Developer & Publisher: Google)
- F.I.S.T.: Forged In Shadow Torch. (Developer: TiGames. Publisher: Bilibili)
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. (Developer & Publisher: Insomniac Games)
Online collections of art, stories, and other creative and/or informational works. Includes galleries, story archives, directories, blogs, and personal sites.
- e621, Furry art. (Contains 18+ content)
- Fur Affinity, Furry art and stories. (Contains 18+ content)
- Fuzznet Music, World’s biggest furry-centered professional music distribution collective.
- Wikifur, Furry wiki.
- Zootopia News Network, All things Zootopia.
Anthropomorphic Costume (Fursuit)
- Armored Lizardman – maker: Treasure Court; owner, wearer: xinghejieZLS.
- Bash the Piñata – maker: Kemonokapi; owner, wearer: @TransformARTive / @BashThePinata.
- Fifel – makers: feathersOkapi and ZettaNova; owner, wearer: GlacierClear.
- Rocket Raccoon (Endgame Version) – maker, owner, wearer: Akela Taka.
Volunteers run the Ursa Major Awards. Please support them so they can make this possible.
Since 2001, these awards have been run with long hours of unpaid work. The volunteers would appreciate any support you can give to defray costs for a website, making and mailing awards, and more.
Like the article? These take hard work. For more free furry news, follow on Twitter or support not-for-profit Dogpatch Press on Patreon. Want to get involved? Try these subreddits: r/furrydiscuss for news or r/waginheaven for the best of the community. Or send guest writing here. (Content Policy.)