by Patch O'Furr
Updated Feb 2018
- Did you hear about President Obama’s meeting with furries?
- Read interviews with movie directors from Pixar as well as the most devoted fans.
- See how fursuits sell for $25,000 and the biggest furry convention draws $7 million in spending.
- Furries in movies, on the front pages, at Burning Man, trending on Twitter, and more.
Dogpatch Press publishes every week day with over 800 articles so far. These got high traffic, dug deep to uncover a story, or they’re just personal favorites.
INTERVIEWS FOR FANS AND FURRIES:
Makers and Doers make a subculture thrive. Whether they build it or feed it with stuff we like, they have valuable stories to tell.
Movie directors, animators, artists, event builders, superfans, and more. From Pixar’s Michel Gagne, to Anthrocon’s Uncle Kage.
FRED PATTEN PRESENTS:
Check his latest posts. Fred is our star guest poster, with a long resume as fandom historian and reviewer.
- Fred Patten Presents his articles about Furry publishing, animation, and history. – From a founder of organized fandom.
- What the Well-Read Furry Should Read. – Hundreds of book reviews of Furry fiction and more.
- More of What the Well-Read Furry Should Read. – More reviews.
- Early 2016 update. – Even more reviews.
- How did Disney inspire Furry fandom? A look at early influences by Fred Patten. – “was Disney a specific and major influence?”
- The State of Furry Publishing – Fred Patten gives the inside story of eight groups.
- Furry literature: Advertising it outside of furry fandom – with Fred Patten and Phil Geusz.
- A present from furry fandom to Fred Patten.
FURSUITING, THE MOST FURRY ACTIVITY.
It’s the the most original fandom creation, with it’s own coined name. Nobody does it like furries, and nothing else represents us so directly as “ambassadors”. Fursuiting is a booming cottage industry and makers are raising the craft until they’re envied by commercial mascot designers. Only 20% own this costly wearable art with scene-stealing glamor, but a picture is worth a thousand words. It’s hard to deny their huggable appeal (representing the touch-based name of this subculture!)
- FUTURE FURSUITING: furry’s most original creations and the rise of tech-enabled smart suits. – One of the site’s most read articles.
- “Fursuits are furry couture – high art furry fashion”. Racked.com consulted furries for their article.
- Opinion: Street fursuiting is the most fun furry experience. Celebrating spontaneous street theater.
- Renegade fursuiting is BEST fursuiting: chat with Sakura Fox. Wisdom from a superfan. (3 parts.)
- Enough squeaker abuse- let’s upgrade fursuit sound effects! – New technology for future fursuiting.
- Edmonton Oil Kings hockey hosts fursuiter race. “It’s looking hairy at ice level!” – A showcase event.
- Fursuiting, pro sports, and The National Mascot Hall Of Fame. – Looking at mainstream crossover. (3 parts.)
- Zarafa’s stolen fursuit found in San Francisco, after big support response. – The strength of community.
- Marta the River Otter – the adorable fursuit mascot of King County, Washington. – Outstanding work.
- Furry Fashion (part 1): Youth, Fursuiting, and Magic for Everyone.
FURRY DANCE PARTIES – IT’S A MOVEMENT:
Since around 2010, furry dance parties are getting established as urban night life. They build on the growth of cons, but take their own direction in partnership with established venues. Howl Toronto says – Con dances happen once a year, and “that’s just not enough to fill the need!”
- Call it- “Furclubbing?” – Introduction.
- The Furclub Survey: introducing the world’s independent Furry dance parties. – A list you won’t find anywhere else.
THE “FURRY ECONOMY”:
Furry creators are working fan-to-fan with self-sufficiency that even supports full time careers. Cons are expanding at a healthy rate. Furaffinity is an independent project acquired by a venture-capital funded company. It’s rising beyond a full-fledged subculture to possible commercialization. How will it develop?
- About the sale of FurAffinity – a Q&A with IMVU – the Value of WTF. – A milestone and what it means, 3 part series.
- Measuring the Furry Economy. – Summary of topics and metrics at Flayrah.
- $11,575 record fursuit sale and $17,500 top price. – Indicators for a creative market.
- Thoughts from the winner of the record-setting $11,575 fursuit auction. – Twilightsaint talks.
- $3 million sale raises furry auction topic. Now that’s an expensive fursuit! – Comparison to mainstream memorabilia.
- One Town, Two Cons: Let’s compare and ask organizers about Furry community growth. – Competition vs. cooperation.
- Who runs furry fandom? Check this list of cons with formal corporate structures. – The Furry Illuminati.
- Furry artists among top highest-paid Patreon creators, but face threats to their livelihood.
- Furry Marketplaces: Where to Shop and Browse Online
- How furry conventions fail (or please) their vendors – Critical discussion.
- Made Fur You sews up a fandom record with a $13,500 fursuit auction at The Dealer’s Den.
Fandom has hidden connections to a rich history of art and performance. A “museum of furry” could exhibit work that look like it’s from a parallel universe. Writer Phil Geusz calls it Paleo Furries. A “Panto-animals and Paleofurs” con panel could uncover hidden depth for what we love.
- If there was a Museum of Furry, theatrical “Panto-Animals” would be a major exhibit. – Discovering an amazing lost tradition.
- Theatrical Panto-animals, Part 2: Feedback, history and sources roundup. – Searching for more.
- Theatrical Panto-animals, Part 3: History book reviews by Fred Patten. – Very little was ever published about this.
A THRIVING SUBCULTURE – PAST AND FUTURE.
There’s furry houses with multi-generations of fans. There’s a fur con somewhere in the world every weekend of the year. Here’s roots and coming opportunities for things that could be.
- The Furry House – a base for creativity and community.
- Furry Good Ideas: Fursuit of the Year award and fashion show, and more. – Events, festivals, books, guilds, or galleries that could exist.
- The ConFurence Archive: a new resource for fandom history, with Q&A by Mark Merlino.
- Review – Furry Nation: The true story of America’s most misunderstood subculture, by Joe Strike.
- Monster Party Cafe opens in Japan – the first permanent furry-themed business?
BAD MEDIA, GOOD MEDIA.
Media exploitation makes sensitivity about being in the spotlight, but it’s a chicken-or-egg relationship. Rising recognition and appreciation brings power to negotiate and be better represented.
- Bay Area Furs find out why there should be a Furry award for Best Journalism. – Nonfiction hasn’t been well covered.
- VICE looks back on the Midwest Furfest attack, earning kudos for thoughtful journalism. – There is good media.
- A welcome new category for the Ursa Major Awards: Best Anthropomorphic Non-Fiction. – Finally.
- Call for help with the Fullerton Murder story; and The Furry Code Of Silence.
THE FURRY ART WORLD
It’s one of the most creative fandoms because all the content is self-generated. Sometimes it gets recognition in galleries and more.
- Five pro photographers advancing the art of furry documentary. – They’re making books and gallery shows.
- “Further Confessions” photo project puts fursuiting in an art gallery, and does FUN right. It’s challenging to catch on camera.
- Scale’s paintings push limits of furry art, with surprising mainstream crossover. Adult furry art gets appreciation from the general public.
- Scale’s unique art exhibit mixes furry art and fine dining.
- Tip Your Makers! Why to pay more for art to improve commissioning and spread the love.
- Don’t miss the Anthropomorphic Enchantment show in San Francisco.
- Fur Con teams up with Artsplosion in San Jose, CA.
- How furry animator Jib Kodi found his art: “When I saw that tail move, I was instantly hooked.”
THE FURRY MOVIE SCENE.
Film and video can be more challenging than other media where furries thrive. Other subcultures have developed enough to support independent film making. There have been a few attempts at furry features and some outside ones that come close. There are many fursuiting shorts (especially music videos) and animation student work. The holy grail might be a furry-made animated feature.
- I love Finsterworld. This tragicomic movie with a Fursuiter is a treat for smart watchers. – See also Finsterworld tag.
- “Furry Film Festival:” thoughts from Fred Patten and Califur’s video programmer.
- “Furry Film Festival” idea expands with the [adjective][species] team.
- Take The Bunny And Run – “Furry heist” is a movie idea waiting to happen.
- Furries are renting theaters for Zootopia meets, and they’re getting bigger than cons.
- ‘Fursonas’ beats Zootopia as most important furry movie, coming soon on Video On Demand.
- Exciting news to come for ‘Fursonas’ documentary movie.
- Fursonas documentary out now – one of the top Furry News stories of the year.
- Frameline Film Fest features two furry documentaries – furs invited to a red carpet event.
- Interview with a Secret Furry animator inside a top movie studio.
- Nova Seed movie review- a rare find of sci fi animation.
- Furry Nights movie review – a crowd pleaser for lovers of campy indie horror.
- Cinéma Anthropomorphique – the monthly movie meet for furries of Oslo, Norway
- Rukus is a furry movie premiering on Feb 2 – here’s the trailer and a review by Marbles.
- Rukus premiere at SF Indie Fest (2/2/18) – a furry movie says Lights, Camera, Anthros!
- Mascot Fur Life – movie reviews by Rex Masters and Flash Hound
“CELEBRIFURRIES” AND STREET CRED:
Furries have more influence than they even realize. Advertisers covet the street cred of subcultures. Disney winked at us with Zootopia. Are there mainstream celebrities who are secret furries? How do other subcultures overlap?
- The President’s fur meet – The “Celebrifurry” List, PART 1: Politicians and VIP’s. – Encounters with leaders.
- Mainstream advertising: “More and more, Furries are being hinted at in marketing media.” – Visuals to catch notice.
- John Waters and furries. – Encounter with a freaky creative hero.
- VNV Nation, Skinny Puppy, industrial music and furries: an inexplicable multi-nerd connection. This had thousands of outside views.
- 2016 is exploding with ‘furry’ movies like Zootopia – what will come with all the hype? – Making Buzz With PR Control.
- After #tonytigergate, companies go Pro Furry and the Daily Show gets involved. – A satirical scandal.
- Fursuiters were kings at Andrew WK’s Pizza Party in San Francisco. – The most famous furry supporter.
- On stage with CHVRCHES and more great times with the San Francisco Bay Area Furries. – Spontaneous spotlight.
- Get freaky at Dante’s InFURno – the Burning Man theme camp for sex-positive furries.
- Who let furries in the goth club? Death Guild vs. Wild Things.
ANTHROPOMORPHIC POLITICS OF THE WORLD.
Like Democrat donkeys, Republican elephants, or “Animal Farm” the political allegory by George Orwell.
- The Enough Already podcast made me look at furries vs. conservatives, Gamergate and Trump.
- Fandom grows in Southeast Asia – could it bring culture clash with Islam and authoritarianism?
- On February 17, don’t go to work – go fursuiting for a General Strike in the USA.
- Tempe O’Kun was on CNN while protesting ‘on the side of justice.’
- A furry’s brush with fascism – authorities “don’t understand the seriousness of the threat.”
- A deep dive into the Altfurry mission to “redpill” fandom with hate
- Why furries should care about politics in 2018 – guest post by WhiteClaw.
- Furry Raiders attack a nonfurry business, get chased off with a positive solution for hate.
- What I learned from lurking the Furry Raiders chat – guest post by Aristide
- How low can they go? Altfurry is grooming kids to retaliate against critics.
- “We Want Politics Out of Furry Fandom” is a political statement, and here’s a good response.
- Hate Addiction and What Furries Can Do About It – guest post by Tempo.
- Here’s the Altfurry blocklist – a powerful tool to reduce hate spam.
- Charlottesville marcher Andrew Dodson linked to furry fandom and neo-nazi organizing.
- Furries resist hate, Altfurry Discord logs go public, Casey Hoerth removed by employers.
- Altfurry supports neo-nazi violence, with member Nathan Gate on camera in Charlottesville.
- How furry fandom is rejecting neo-nazis, “Altfurs” and Furry Raiders who target kids for hate.
- The Confederate fursuit incident shows how you can’t be a troll and a victim at the same time.
- The truth about the myth that “Deo Killed RMFC” – guest post by Harper.
- Culturally F’d Addresses RMFC, “Nazifurs” and the BIG Problems Behind It All
- The end of Rocky Mountain Fur Con didn’t cure the problem that caused it.
- Sorin, Chair of Rocky Mountain Fur Con, discusses demise of the con.
- A false rumor about RMFC is repeating history from the Burned Furs.
- Rocky Mountain Fur Con backs neo-nazis, sex offender to intimidate critic for reporting threat.
- 2 Uncool – a furry celebrity’s disgrace is a test of fandom tolerance.
CHARITY AND SUPPORT.
- Animal Rescues Need Your Help in the Wake of Hurricane Harvey
- Three furries save lives in deadly multi-vehicle crash in England.
- Hurricane heartbreak: Dracokon’s house looks like Godzilla sat on it.
- Furries invited to a charity livestream for the It’s Your Haven Foundation, December 8-9
- Fur Health’s fitness training guide – and a mental health video from Taebyn pup.
Acceptance is a big feature of furry subculture. It draws interests together, but nothing represents every member, because membership is self-defined. Some interests get conservative disapproval. It makes tension between freedom and collective interest. It can involve prejudices, laws, or times for a social group to stand up for itself.
- Vermont town selectively bans fursuiters: Prejudice complaint and update. – A public conflict.
- Mask/hood bans: haters and control-freaks love this excuse for war on fun and freedom. – Killing expression for security.
- Anniversary of the New Jersey FurBQ Hoax – this bullshit cost $185,000. – A look back at a trumped up attack.
- Fight the Beigists! Furries defend the National Fun Reserve. – Ranting and praise.
- Oklacon is canceled, and you might want to call Oklahoma’s Tourism Department. – Prejudice and misbehavior.
- Costume bans and security: Bad news for fans who plan to see highly anticipated movies in costume. – (3 parts)
- Yiff Panic? Judgement in a Connecticut town shows it’s still not safe to be openly furry.
WHEN FURRY MEETS FURRY – “THE TOPIC THEY LOVE TO HATE”.
It’s not an urban legend – some furries get wild. But sex isn’t a definer. It can be a family friendly hobby too. Media hypes sex, but romantic themes are part of being human, and furries are just regular people with extra rich imaginations. Being unusually open and expressive is required for an interest spectrum beyond the default. It can cause controversy. It also makes first-time visitors call them the most friendly people you could ever party with. This blog is anti-prude and not shy about sex-positivity.
- “Hugs are the handshake of furries” – Artists explore cultural meaning of touch. – Thoughts about “furriness.”
- Furries share worries about pay-dating fraud: spotlight on FurFling.com. – This caused a commotion at Flayrah.
- SEX! Researchers, journalists, and furries debate The Topic They Love To Hate. – Controversy.
- Creators of a furry fetish party dare to be “Wild Things” (NSFW content). – Few events like this have ever been promoted.
- Creators of furry fetish party explain “human sized cat box”. – The truth of an urban legend.
- “Wild Things” will fluff your fur with a second fetish party in San Francisco. – Success brings a sequel.
- It was so much fun to be in an outrageous Rap CD and a live comedy show! – “Live Sex” was the name.
- Furry Network’s new content policy gets panties in a bunch. – The most contentious topic in furry art.
- Opinion: It doesn’t matter if adult art is more popular than clean art.
Sometimes it’s fun to mix satire and comedy with news. Keep Furry Weird.
- A Newcomer’s Guide To Furry Terms and Customs.
- A brief history of who ruined furry.
- Here’s why furries are on a secret list at the California DMV.
- Exchanging Fluids on PBS: Your eyes will bug out at this WTF furry video from 1992! – An astonishing subcultural stunt.
- Q&A with Biohazard, artist of the infamous “Too Hot for PBS” auction video.
- Reviewer slams furries for infesting her hotel – you’ll cry when you see the Manager’s epic reply.
- HERO DAD finds sexy art in furry kid’s room, hangs it on wall to appreciate it.
- How to Be Cool and Play Off that Furry Porn You Forgot Was on Your Phone
WHAT’S WRONG WITH FANDOM?
Furries have been punching-bags with sensational media exploiting them as freaks. It can come from bias to only look for the worst in people. It can show stigma, shaming, scapegoating, or a streak of homophobia. But negativity doesn’t build anything, and that’s why it’s losing power with time. If you hear of “inherent” problems, look at the positive, expressive nature of the group.
- There’s a persistent rumor that Furry fandom was perverted by a bad ad for ConFurence. – It spread for 18 years. Here’s the source.
- Revisiting Rainfurrest: what can we learn about limits of a growing fandom? – Internal dilemmas.
- Why are “nerdy” groups male-populated? – It’s about positive self expression.
- Harassment in fandom needs to be taken seriously – guest post by Lamar.
- Classism in the Furry Fandom: An Opinion by Nightf0x
CRIME AND PUNISHMENT:
Any community has crime, so it naturally happens with furries sometimes. Most everything they do is harmless and positive, but rare problems can get sensationalized and it needs caution about bias.
- Abuse against man in “tiger porn” case shows contempt for rights. – Bias leads to abuse of authority.
- Minor crime in Michigan makes major media ogling. – Bad reporting jumps to conclusions.
- Murder and the furry community – the untold story of ‘Night Horse’. – Investigating truth of a sad event.
- Statement about the tragedy in Fullerton, CA. – A triple homicide was national news; Dogpatch Press got quoted in Rolling Stone.
- Is this news editorial cartoon about furries making fun of a tragedy? – More about Fullerton.
- Youtube’s popular Reptile Channel has a history of banned animal abuse by JonahVore.
- R.C. Fox arrested for child pornography, furries question fandom connections.
- “Confederate fursuiter” Magnus Diridian arrested at Midwest Furfest – what’s the story?
- Magnus Diridian asked for an interview, so we talked about an attack on a convention.
SPECIAL GUEST POSTS BY PUP MATTHIAS:
- The Raccoon’s Den – The First Docudramedy Series in the Furry Fandom.
- Waterways is why I Love the Furry Fandom.
- Fursonas and Furries: A Tail of Two Docs (Part 1) – Continued in Part 2
- Five Furry Animation Shorts You Should Check Out
- Interview with #FurryBookMonth Creator Huskyteer
- EZ Cool Down vests are a major business for fandom and beyond – EZ Wolf tells why.
- More Furries Are Being Featured in the Media, and That’s Good.
- Furry YouTubers You Might Not Have Seen
MORE SPECIAL GUEST POSTS:
- Snow White vs. All Dogs Go To Heaven: A Look at How Kid’s Movies Encouraged the Founding of the Furry Fandom. – By Amanda R.
- Fur-Esports: A Competitive Gaming Team for Furries. – By Smash Capps.
- Zootopia: A Call For Balance – by Alex Reynard.
- My weird plush commissions – by Amy Brown of Jumbo Jibbles.
- Furry YouTube, and Previously on “Culturally F’d”. – By Arrkay.
- The Best Furry Videos of 2016! Culturally F’d teams up with Dogpatch Press. – by Arrkay.
- What’s Yiffin’? February 2017 edition – now syndicating the monthly furry news program – by Andre Kon.
- A Decade of Gold: A retrospective of the works of Kyell Gold. – by Thurston Howl.
- A Brief History of Cartoon Animals Punching Nazis – By Arrkay.
- April is Furry Poetry Month – guest post by Shining River.
- HappyWulf’s Furry KickStarters
- Furries are winning Emmys and Youtube Creator Awards. – By Arrkay.
- Original species of furry fandom: an overview. – by Rune.
- Furry Book Month – Some Recommendations – by Summercat
- Furry Publishers – A Resource for Artists and Authors – by Summercat
- Furry Drama(tic Arts) – The Forgotten History of the Furry Musical – By Duncan Piasecki
- Talking Animal Films in South Africa – By Duncan Piasecki
- Prepping for a Furry Convention – guest post by Rune.
THE REGULAR NEWSDUMP (phased out):
See the “Newsdump” tag. These digest posts had curated links and “list worthy” small stories from around the web and the border between subculture and mainstream. They gave a look at the state of the community over time.